Thursday, January 3, 2008

The Commute

Shortly before going on my last work assignment, my family and I decided to move from the base where we were living to a fairly distant location. I have now returned and am faced with a commute that ranges from an hour and fifteen minutes to two hours each way depending on traffic. My wife tried to make the journey easier with a bunch of Christmas gifts for my car such as a steering wheel cover, Ipod adapter for the car, seat cushion, etc. Having made the commute for a couple of days now I've come to realize it is the only part of my day that I have to myself. While I'm not a fan of getting up at 0430 in the morning to make it in to work by 0630 (or really 0615, because in the army if you're not early, you're late) the commute provides me with time to think. This morning I reflected back to an idea I had while deployed to Iraq a couple of years ago. I had watched a Seinfeld episode where George had pretended to be handicapped and got a rascal and was chased by a group of old people with rascals. I thought that the army should consider standing up an entire brigade comprised of older people and outfit them with armored rascals. They would be a formidable force bearing down on the enemy and yelling for the enemy to get off their lawns. While this may sound silly at first, it is certainly no more silly than the CIA trying to slip Castro exploding cigars during the 1960s. Somebody over there must have been a big Looney Tunes fan. Anyway that's all for tonight, tune in next time for another exciting installment.

1 comment:

Th. said...

.

Ha!

No one will argue with results.